I'm done with acronyms, but if I were to feel so inclined, I'd have to add barfing somewhere into that last one I made up. Sam proved his gastric infortitude once again, this time through the mouth. I felt a little bad, but this is how dads learn. I had him slightly more horizontal than vertical, so when he puked, he sort of gargled it a little bit, and then some came out his nose. BUT, before you call DCFS on me, you should know that I am the master of the snot removal bulb. I sucked all that crud right out of there... no problem.
We're happy to report that after his first Pediatrician appointment, he's got a clean bill of health. He grew a half inch, and is up to 8 lbs! Way to eat fatty! The medical assistant or whatever she's called in the doctor's office claimed she had superior tape measure operation technique than would an actual RN in the hospital, and that he therefore may not have actually grown, because the RN likely did not take an accurate measurement when he was born. Tevs... all we know is that he's 50th percentile in the weight, and 25th percentile in the length. That seems odd, because he's much less pudgy than most newborns, which should be supported by a higher length percentile than weight percentile. But I'm holding out hope that he's not a midget. He was supposed to get a Hep B shot, but our doctor is a rogue - a maverick as it were - and he doesn't give the shot if the mother doesn't have it. So this was a fortuitous way for me to verify that Marne aint rollin no Hep.
Sam had some new visitors. He met his Aunt Amy and his Cousin Shannon. Grandfolks Pieroni were also in attendance with Amy, but Sam has met them before. He was awake for the Pieroni visit, but Shannon was not so lucky. Oh, BTW Shannon...Mexican Lasagna? Hell yeah. Shannon brought a full casserole for us to pop in the oven whenever. It's called Mexican Lasagna. I didn't know what it was, but it sounded like it combined by two favorite things ever...Lasagna and Mexicans. Anyway, we cooked it tonight and it was radical. Food is a prerequisite when visiting, and so far all visitors are batting 1.000. THANKS!! But I digress. Grandfolks Osten have been by to see him recently too. He was even awake for Rose a little this evening. They love their first grandchild, and he loves that they're close enough to come see him whenever. And I certainly appreciate that if Marne is in need of some company during the day and I can't sneak out of work, that her Mom is usually available to come be with her.
Marne got a little fever today...actually a big fever...101 degrees. She was shivering, and also thought that she might have an infection related to breast feeding. Shannon and Marne had a long discussion about this malady, and what do you know as soon as Shannon leaves, it sets on! No, but she was seriously not feeling well, and she didn't know what it was, so she warmed up a little bit to cure the shivers, and took some Motrin, and within a couple hours was back to 98.6.
What else is going on...oh yeah...his man organ is doing much better since the big snip. It looks like a regular penis now...just incredibly small. This means we don't have to treat it with gauze and petroleum jelly at each changing any more. And his cord is ready to fall out any day now. Which is good because he could use a full submersion bath...he's starting to smell like a hobo. Of course, I'm kidding. Somehow, he smells as fresh as could be, with nothing more than one sponge bath since birth. Oh, and we got word from the cord blood lab that his sample was received and tested, the cell count was adequate, and it's all cryo'd up now, ready for the apocalypse, or when the machines take over, or whatever else might arise where needing an exact blood match is necessary. We hope to God we never need to use it, but it's nice to know it's there in the event of something tragic.
There are some new pics above, which I suppose you've already seen now that you're down here. You can tell we got a little overzealous with the macro feature on the camera, with all the close-ups. Those are classic though.
Love,
Jake & Marne
Tuesday, November 11, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Love the close ups of my neph. However, I contest that you have never eaten Mexican Lasagne before. Mom used to make it! Maybe she got the recipe after you left for UCLA or something, but yes, it is DELICIOUS!
I can't wait to meet my cousin once removed!?! As an Onc RN I am also pleasantly surprised you have cryopreserved his cord blood. Your Doc must be a maverick to have promoted it, most of them don't even give you the option.
D
P.S.Sorry to hear about the boob infection.
Post a Comment